Local Graduate from Canton High Returns

Kayla Sutton finally came back to her hometown high school to inspire kids the same way she was inspired her junior year of college. But was teaching what she thought she was going to do? Simple answer no. 

Along with other teachers Sutton didn’t even major in education. Sutton actually majored in English literature, with a minor in education. Although she did get a minor in education, the main thing she wanted to do with that minor is teach younger generations how to love and appreciate literature and language.

I am most excited to teach Romeo & Juliet because students always have this preconceived notion of Shakespeare and usually end up pleasantly surprised.” Sutton, English teacher, said. 

If you have no idea what you’re doing for college don’t feel alone. For example Sutton decided to change the path her life was going. After already being in college for a while she last minute wanted to change her profession to teaching? 

Finally graduation had come. She not only got to leave SWOSU, but she also got to move into a new experience. As with any beginning teacher, her first few years were hard, but with each year in education it only got easier. She was a high school English and honors English teacher at Fairview high school for 11 years. 

Teaching at Fairview was a positive, challenging, and formative experience.” Sutton, English teacher, said.

However she never had the heart to leave her hometown, so she continued to be a resident here at Canton. Now she’s a teacher here helping Canton students to discover their love of literature and language. When this opportunity came about she decided it was time to return to her hometown high school. 

Teachers’ goals are to help their students and teach them about what they need to know about this world. Students are not the only people to learn things from school. Teachers also learn things from other staff members, and Sutton is looking forward to learning how to navigate the new small town school environment that she is now in, but from a teacher’s perspective not a student’s. 

Sutton, among other people, has learned that when an opportunity comes,  take it, because that opportunity could be perfect for whether it’s coming back home or moving states away. Sutton’s case is one of the cases where she gets to return to her hometown, and  high school years from the other side of the desk. 

I’m most excited to get to know my students and work with teachers who taught me!” Sutton, English teacher, said.