Not One, Not Two, but Three Family Members Working Together

Many people don’t work with family members but the Heath family is completely different. Not only is Dawn Heath working with her sister-in-law, but also her niece? As you all know, the Heaths have been teaching for a while, and this is no exception for this Heath. 

Heath has been teaching for over 29 years, at many and I mean many schools. First she taught in Joplin Missouri, then she relocated to Enid here in Oklahoma, then she moved again to Garfield county, Pioneer high, and finally to Canton. After being all over the country, it seems, she has decided to come to Canton and be a counselor here. 

As many teachers know there is always a first year challenge and Heath is no different. Being a new staff member is not only difficult due to the fact you don’t know many people there but because you know maybe three students if you know any at all. She is more than willing to gain any knowledge that would help her be a better counselor.

“Well right now it’s a challenge to make sure to learn every student’s name, so for my  first year challenge is to put a name to every face. And from there just gain all I can while I’m here,” Dawn Heath, counselor, said.

Unlike some staff members, Heath has not only a degree in education but a degree in psychology. She has gone to many schools, not only graduating from high school but going to many colleges after her graduation. 

Her first college stop was Tahlequah to attend Northeastern, where she got a bachelors in education in the department of science. After this she went to Phillips to get her secondary education degree, where she was in the last graduating class before it shut down. She again relocated to another college and went to Northwestern Oklahoma State University(NWOSU) where she got her psychology degree. Then later she returned to NWOSU where she obtained her school psychology and counseling degree. 

After all this, school does not end for anyone. Especially not a school counselor who learns more and more everyday. She not only wants to teach students things but she also wants to gain knowledge, the same way we gain knowledge from our teachers and staff members. 

“You all teach me more than I teach you I’m sure, and I probably learn something new everyday. I just want every student to reach their goals and have success.”