2019 Vape Laws Aimed to Stop Vaping Crisis

As more students were being caught with vapes, the purchase, use, or possession(PUP) law needed an update, so on December 31st of 2019 new consequences for underage vaping came into play. This law states that any illegal selling of vapes/vaping products would result in fines if the sale is made by an employee or owner of a store at which tobacco products or vapor products are sold at retail. The employee shall be guilty of the violation and shall be subject to the fine. After the first offense the consequences continue to get more serious.

“Not more than one hundred dollars ($100.00) for the first offense, not more than two hundred odllars ($200.00) for the second offense within a two-year period following the first offense, not more than Three Hundred Dollars ($300.00) for a third offense within a two-year period following the first offense. In addition to any other penalty, the store’s license to sell tobacco products or the store’s sales tax permit for a store that is predominantly engaged in the sale of vapor products in which the sale of other products is merely incidental may be suspended for a period not exceeding thirty (30) days,” Eric Denning, Blaine County Undersheriff, said. 

The tobacco industry spends millions of dollars to make commercials and more so they can market their products. In fact Oklahoma is a target for vaping commercials. Due to this, the state is  more likely to have young vapers. 

The consequences by the law are hundreds of dollars being fined to those caught with vapes. Schools’ problems with  disciplinary actions have continued to rise as vapes become more popular.  Being found with vape/vapor products will lead to a suspension, with other additional disciplinary actions under applicable actions. The students caught with vape/vaping products will be punished with severe disciplinary actions. Furthermore, their guardians will be subject to fines for first and further offenses.

“As students are caught with vapes/vapor products, the school calls the police immediately and the vape/vapor products are sent to be tested by the police. If it comes back positive (for THC), then it will add on to the original three day suspension for having the vape/vapor product,” Marisa Evans, high school principal, said. 

Blaine County Sheriff’s office also says a minor having a vape test positive for THC can be charges with a felony.

These 2019 laws will finally be used, although they have been on the books for almost three years.. Not only does this law apply everywhere outside of school, it also applys inside of school.