Blockin’ with Boxes and Cans

Canton High School’s FCCLA had a service project November 16 to see which class brought the most non-perishable food items to benefit the Blaine County Food Bank. Thursday morning, each class chose a teacher’s doorway to block by stacking the food to the top.

The seventh-grade strategy was “Cans and food boxes because it’s more food for the people,” Ariel Green, seventh-grader, said. The seventh grade tried to block Mrs. Castillo’s door with the canned goods and cereal boxes.  

The eighth-grade strategy was, “Cereal boxes because it’s easy to stack. It’s like playing legos,” Hopelin Hood, eighth-grader, said. The eighth class blocked Ms. Keefer’s door.  

The freshman also planned to use cereal boxes for the most part. “Get cereal boxes so it will cover up the door best as possible,” Beau Fuqua, freshman, said. The freshman class blocked Mrs. Dowell’s door.

The sophomore class did not have a strategy, and partially blocked Ms. Morgan’s door, so they donated their items to help the seniors finish blocking their door.

The juniors took a calculated approach. “Each student brought two big cereal boxes,” Roxy Linder, junior, said. The juniors blocked Mrs. Barney’s door with the food their class donated.  

Senior strategy closely followed the juniors, taking advantage of large boxes. “Cereal boxes, the bigger the boxes the higher and quicker the door will be blocked,” Gabby Martin, senior, said. The seniors blocked Mrs. Haub’s door.  

The junior class finished first, they will receive five class spirit points and a technology day. The senior class got second and they got three class spirit points. They were followed by the eighth grade and then the freshman.

“I have known someone that didn’t know where their next meal was coming from. I would feel very hungry and sad if I didn’t get a meal every day,” Tanner Cauble, eighth-grader, said.

“I have never known anyone that doesn’t know where their next meal is coming from. I would feel hungry and sad,” Connor Chaloupek, eighth-grader, said.

“I actually have known someone that didn’t know where their next meal was coming from. Actually about four years ago, I was in this situation. I know how it feels to not know where the next meal will come from. It’s terrible to n0t get at least two meals a day,” Adrianna Doyle, sophomore, said.