What’s the Need?

Kalissa Wile, Reporter

Most girls wear makeup on a daily basis or for special occasions, but why do they do it? Guys sure do not seem to know.

There are many reasons for a girl to wear makeup, such as to impress a guy, to be creative, or just to feel confident. Some girls even go all out with their makeup just to take selfies to post on social media. “Makeup is something to make girls feel better about themselves,” Alex Taylor, senior, said.

Girls usually spend twenty to thirty minutes on their makeup. Some girls do their makeup every day and will have to get up early in the morning. Boys wonder why girls take so long to get ready. They have to fix their hair, do their makeup, and get dressed. Boys only have to comb through their hair and get dressed, which takes around ten minutes. Girls, overall, need an hour to get ready.

Do girls wear too much makeup? “Sometimes they wear too much and look like a butterface,” Nate Bates, sophomore, said.  Some girls will wear foundation, which is a skin-colored liquid to cover up flaws, such as acne, scars, and unusual colored spots on the face. “They wear it to hide acne and stuff and I guess they wear it because they don’t feel pretty,” Josh Edwards, sophomore, said. Sometimes the foundation will be too dark. This will cause the girl to have an unusual appearance.  

Boys do not understand the difference between highlighting and contouring. They think all makeup brushes are the same, but they all have a different purpose. Boys will never know the real reason why girls wear makeup. “Girls wear makeup to enhance their beauty,” Mr. Mitchell, Ag teacher, said.

Makeup has a huge impact on a girl’s life.