Enforce It or Ignore It?

Rules are being broken every day, but do teachers and students even realize it? If they do, do they try to enforce the rule? Some rules in the Canton High School handbook are not necessary, and some are just completely ignored.

Some dress code rules in the handbook are completely irrational and most teachers and students know it. For example, the rule that declares coats and jackets are not to be worn other than when the weather permits. Students wear coats, jackets, and hoodies all the time. Some of the classrooms are cold, and a student would prefer to wear a jacket. Hot or cold varies from person to person. Furthermore, sometimes jackets are also a worn simply because they are fashionable.

There are many rules that both students and teachers think are unimportant. The handbook states that a student cannot wear more than three earrings in each ear as if wearing more than three piercings can disturb other students.

“It’s not like three or more piercings is the end of the world. Piercings are a way to express yourself. I currently have five piercings and I honestly want more, but I shouldn’t have to worry about getting in trouble at school for my ear piercings,” Kyla Littleton, senior, said.

There is no way that a handbook can cover every detail of every possible scenario that could come into play. That fact is easily apparent. Principal McPhail also recognizes this.

“When you write a handbook you need to write policies and procedures that can address all situations. The majority of our handbook policies were written to address specific incidents and unfortunately those don’t apply to every incident,” Mr. McPhail, said.

As for the possibility of a handbook covering every situation, “Kids are inventive”, Coach Smith, said.

There are multiple rules that are overlooked.

If the Canton High School handbook contains a rule, then it should be enforced. If it is not enforced it should not be in the handbook.

While this is not a complete list, it is a random sample of some of the handbook rules:

1. Students that receive five or more tardies per class per semester will be assigned one day of ISS per infraction.
  2. No outside food or drinks.
  3. No blankets will be allowed in school
  4. No television, radios, or other music playing device, with or without earphones, will be allowed on the bus routes.
  5. Formal dress code for girl-occasions for formal dress includes queen contestants, banquets, prom, graduation, Miss CHS homecoming activities.
  6. No instructional time will be missed to decorate or undecorate for prom.
  7. Students must check in all medications and inhalers in at the office unless otherwise approved.
  8. Ineligible students may not attend dances.