7 or 8

The last time we have had a seven-hour school day was in 2011- 2012. At Canton High School the year 2018-2019 will be a seven-hour school day again. The students will only have two electives to choose from. The teachers will only have one prep hour, instead of two which they have in eight hours.

“I prefer an eight hour day because I could have more electives. It helps me get extra stuff finished and time to do things to get ready for college,” Alicia Luna, freshman, said. The electives Alicia will take a seven-hour school day would be desktop and art because they are her favorite classes. “The disadvantages of having a seven-hour day is it will be longer in class than I want to be,” Luna said.  

“No, the seven-hour school would not have any effect on the tardies or absences students get,” Mrs. Heath, history teacher, said.

The disadvantages or advantages of having a seven-hour school day will continue to be debated.  “There are really never advantages for having a seven-hour school day. The elective classes won’t have very many people taking a class,” Mrs. Heath said.

“Seven hour days would help because it would allow more hands-on time for my yearbook staff to get things done,” Mrs, Barney, English teacher, said.