Should Every Student Get Equal Space in a Yearbook?

The yearbook staff has been working on putting together the 2017-2018 yearbook since the beginning of the school year. The yearbook changes every year, but do the people in it? Of course, the seniors will not be pictured in the next year’s annual, but will the same people be pictured as in the past years?

No, not every student should get equal space because some students do not really want to be in it. So why should we put them in the yearbook when they do not want to be?

— Courtney Thompson

Most students are active in sports, clubs, school activities, and more. Whenever these events are taking place, there will most likely be a photographer there taking pictures. These pictures will probably be put in the yearbook, or published in the newspaper, but what about the inactive students? Some students at Canton High School do not have the time or do not feel the need to be active in school functions. The yearbook staff does not want to have a picture of deadbeat Vicky smoking crack in the bathroom stall.  

The yearbook staff works hard every day putting their spreads together. They do not have the time to find one of the lifeless people and take pictures of them getting their tray at lunch. I believe to be recognized in the annual, a person should be active in school. Whether it is in sports, STUCO, the academic team, or even in art. There are many opportunities to participate in school activities. Even taking part in a pep assembly could let a person have a chance of being seen in the yearbook.

No, because some people do more activities than others, so they should get to be in the yearbook more,

— Alicia Luna

There may be some parents who complain that they never see their child in the yearbook unless it is their school portrait. The parent’s actions reflect on their child’s behavior. If the parent does not encourage their child to become more active in school activities, it is unlikely that the student will do it anyway. Some kids even quit sports because their parents never show up to watch them at their games. Parents should start encouraging and stop complaining.

Should every student get equal space in a yearbook?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...