Cooking Kids

Cooking+Kids

The average American eats fast food about four times a week. Many kids depend on fast food for a majority of their meals. Parents can’t always find the time to make home-cooked meals every day, even though it is much cheaper and healthier. It is time kids start stepping up and learning how to cook. Some students from Canton High School have taken on the responsibility of making meals for their families.

Ashlyn Ruiz, seventh grader, first starting cooking with her grandma when she was six. The first dish she learned how to make was Indian tacos. The most amazing thing she has ever made was a pineapple upside down cake, but her go-to recipe is tacos. She usually cooks for five. Ruiz said, “I want to go to culinary school and work in different restaurants. I want to be a baker, and work my way up.”

Marci Rhodes, eighth grader, was taught how to cook by her mom. Her go-to recipe is her amazing enchiladas. The first recipe she learned how to cook was spaghetti. Rhodes cooks about four times a week. One thing she plans on learning to cook is homemade gravy. Rhodes wants to go to culinary school and become a chef when she gets older.

Arianna Green, freshman, has a lot of people to cook for. When Green cooks, she has to cook for seven people, including herself. Her mom taught her how to cook when she was ten. The first thing she learned how to cook was mashed potatoes. The most amazing thing she has ever made was her little brother’s birthday cake. Green’s signature dish is chicken taco soup.

When Hayleigh Noble, freshman, was thirteen she starting having to cook more for her family. “When my grandpa got sick and my mom and grandma were at work, my sister and I cooked for him. That’s why I first started cooking,” Noble said. The most amazing thing she has ever made is a meal of fried chicken, green beans, and mashed potatoes. Her favorite memory of cooking is when she made a cookie cake for her and her twins birthday.

Kalissa Wile, sophomore, has been cooking with her grandma since she was seven. The first recipe she learned how to make was gumbo. Wile’s signature dish is lasagna. The most amazing thing she has ever made was fire roasted vegetable soup. At family events, Wile is always in charge of making the deserts.

As for me, I started learning to cook when I was twelve. Cooking can be a family tradition that brings people together. At Thanksgiving and Christmas, I love going to my grandparents and cooking with my family. It is amazing to see all the recipes and tricks that have been passed down through my family, and that I will be passing on someday. I recommend every kid learns how to cook. Here are some recipes to get you started.

Mexican Casserole- Taylor Dowell

Ingredients-

1. 1 pound hamburger (browned and drained)
  2. 1 Can of chili beans (drained)
  3. 1 Can of cream of chicken and mushroom soup
  4. 1 Can of Old El Paso mild red enchilada sauce
  5. Tortilla chips
  6. Shredded cheddar cheese

Directions-  Brown hamburger and drain excess fat.  Add salt and pepper. Add beans, soup, and enchilada sauce.  Simmer 10 minutes. Crush tortilla chips in the bottom of a casserole dish.  Pour mixture over chips and top with shredded cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for 10-15 minutes.  Serve with corn on the side. Other options include adding rotel to the skillet mixture or topping with lettuce and tomatoes.

Indian Tacos- Ashlyn Ruiz

Ingredients-

1. 2 cups all-purpose
  2. 1 tablespoon baking powder
  3. ½  teaspoon white sugar
  4. ½ teaspoon salt
  5. 1 ½ cups water
  6. 1 pound ground beef
  7. 1 packet chili seasoning
  8. 1 can kidney beans
  9. 2 cups of oil (for frying)
  10. 2 cups shredded cheese
  11. 2 cups shredded lettuce
  12. 2 cups diced tomatoes
  13. 1 cup sour cream

Directions- Mix flour, sugar, salt, and water into a bowl. Let mixture stand for 10 minutes, then fry. Cook ground beef in pan. Cook beans. Add beef and beans to fry bread, then garnish with cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, and sour cream.

Enchiladas- Marci Rhodes

Ingredients-

1. 1 pound ground beef
  2. 2 cans enchilada sauce
  3. 1 can beans
  4. 1 package tortillas
  5. 1 ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese

Preheat oven to 375 degrees and grease pan. Cook hamburger and combine beans in with hamburger meat. Dip tortillas in enchilada sauce. Put meat and bean mixture into the tortilla and roll it up. When the pan is full, put it in the oven for 10 minutes. Add cheese and put back into the oven for 10 more minutes

Fire Roasted Vegetable Soup- Kallissa Wile

Ingredients-

1. 1 tablespoon olive oil
  2. 1 large onion
  3. 3 cloves garlic
  4. 2 cups vegetable broth  
  5. 2 cans fire roasted diced tomatoes
  6. 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
  7. 1 teaspoon white sugar
  8. ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
  9. ½ cup heavy whipping cream

Directions- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan. Cook and stir onion and garlic in hot oil for 2 or 3 minutes. Pour vegetable broth over the onion mixture.  Add tomatoes, 1 tablespoon cilantro, sugar, and red pepper flakes. Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, place a cover on the saucepan, and simmer until the tomatoes are really soft, about 15 minutes. Pour tomato mixture into a blender and pulse a few times, or until pureed. Put pureed tomatoes back into a saucepan and cook for 5 more minutes, and add in heavy whipping cream and cilantro.