Canton Students Compete At Spring Stock Show

On Saturday, February 23, 4-H and FFA members traveled to Watonga to compete in the Blaine County Livestock Show. Canton had twenty-six exhibitors in total. Species shown were swine, goats, sheep, and cattle. Canton was successful in each of these categories.

The swine show kicked off the show early in the morning. Canton came away with Champion Berk Gilt (Amanda Schoonmaker), Champion Chester Gilt (Daylon McNabb), Champion Hereford Gilt (Blair Dowell), Reserve Champion Hamp Gilt (Josh Edwards), and the Reserve Champion York Gilt (Josh Edwards).  In the barrow show, Canton won Reserve Champion Poland (Levi Shaw) and Reserve Champion Duroc (Ashlyn Ruiz).

Following the swine show was the goat show.  Canton had several first and second place class finishers. Amanda Schoonmaker earned the Intermediate Goat Showmanship title, qualifying her to represent Blaine County at OYE.

Canton did very well in the sheep show with Hannah Hoffman winning Champion Overall Registered Ewe with her Champion Hampshire, and Emma Hoffman had the Reserve Champion Hampshire Ewe.

As the wind picked up and temperatures dropped, the cattle show started in the afternoon.  Canton came away with Champion Charolais (Weston Waldrep), Reserve Champion Charolais (Taylor Dowell), Champion Chianina (Claysen Scott), Reserve Champion Chianina (Weston Waldrep), Champion Shorthorn (Jake Sinclair), Champion Shorthorn Plus (Nate Lang), Reserve Champion Shorthorn Plus (Courtney Thompson), and Reserve Champion Charolais Composite (Josh Edwards) in the purebred heifer competition. Claysen Scott went on to win Champion Purebred Continental Heifer with his Champion Chianina. Taylor Dowell won the Champion Commercial Heifer and went on to win Reserve Supreme Heifer. Canton won the Grand Prospect Steer (Taylor Dowell) and the Grand Market Steer (Hudson Scott). Two Canton students earned the beef showmanship awards in their age divisions and will represent Blaine County at OYE, Hudson Scott in the intermediate division and Josh Edwards in the Senior Division.

Canton showed the most animals of any school in the county. Don Mitchell and assistant Shania Wood worked very hard helping the students.  In total, Canton showed 57 animals at this show (2 sheep, 9 goats, 26 swine, 20 beef). The Premium Auction will be held Tuesday, February 26, at the Blaine County Fairgrounds.  The District Livestock Show in Enid is the next show students will compete in.