The Choir is Making a Comeback

Nervous students singing in front of the class on the first day of school.

After 11 years of not having any type of music class, Canton High school gets a choir. The choir teacher, Mrs. Clark, has huge ambitions for these first-time students of hers.

Mrs. Clark has warmed the choir up by having them perform the National Anthem at home football and basketball games. Singing in front of the crowds of people at games helped all the students get used to performing for people, rather than just themselves in the mirror.

“I felt really nervous when we sang at the first football game, but now I could do it with my eyes closed.” Alexis Beckner, sophomore, said.

She also had them sing American Soldier at the Veterans Day program. It was the first time the choir had to perform in front of a large crowd of people, and the students definitely had their nerves.

“I felt very nervous at first, but when the spotlight hit me, it covered up the people which helped me calm down.” Jadine Chervenka, seventh grade, said.

Mrs. Clark and the choir both volunteered their time to perform a Christmas medley at the Lemons and Lace ticket raffle. Then they sang Christmas carols as families gathered around for the Christmas tree lighting. The choir later sang the same Christmas medley for the Christmas program.

“Singing at the Christmas tree lighting was really fun and it brought the town together for a little bit.”

Now Mrs. Clark has her students practicing for a special spring show in April. They will be performing a plethora of songs, and they will dance to a couple of them, too.

“Practicing for the show is a lot of work, but I’m excited for how it’s going to turn out,” Sienna Bates, eighth grade, said.

In the meantime, Mrs. Clark has taken the choir to see the live opera, Cinderellion. She wanted her students to have an insight on how certain musical groups perform. She has also been finding camps for some of her students to attend over the summer to be able to better their vocals for the next year. Although the choir has come a long way since their first day of class, these students still have a long way to go.