The Claw

• March 15Canton has been named the Class A Win Win Week State Champions for the Second Year in a Row

Filed under In Depth, Sports, Video

2019 Cheer Try-Outs are in the Books

Back to Article
Back to Article

2019 Cheer Try-Outs are in the Books

The cheerleader prospects walk into the gym, turn around, and look up into the smiling faces of the judges. Worried about making the team, everybody’s hopes are high, but they make sure their kicks are higher. More than slightly terrified, they go through the process and wait to see who has made the team. Tryouts might be daunting, but former cheerleaders know there is no reason to be scared of them, as long as they are prepared.
“I low-key think I’m going to make it, but like also am probably going to do awful,” Jadine Chervanka, cheerleader hopeful, said.
Cheer clinic is the few days prior to cheer tryouts. This is where students learn everything they will have to do in their tryouts for the Canton High School and junior high cheer teams.
The want-to-be cheerleaders have to learn a group cheer, an individual cheer, two different jumps, and a dance. Everything is initially learned on the first day, while the second day is general practice, and the last day before tryouts is a run-through of how tryouts will go.
The cheer hopefuls will be judged on smiling, their overall appearance, jump height, the spread of their jumps, sharpness of their motions and loudness.

I low-key think I’m going to make it, but like also am probably going to do awful.”

— Jadine Chervanka

Another area that will be taken into consideration is the cheer prospects’ teacher evaluations. Teacher evaluations will weed out the students who have bad attitudes and poor work ethic.
Three college cheerleaders from SWOSU will be judging tryouts this year.
“I was nervous at first, but as soon as I realized that it was not going to be as bad as I thought, it went really well,” Hanna Sullins, freshman cheerleader, said.
During cheer tryouts, the goal is to get as many points as possible. A way to rack up some points is to do double jumps and tumbling. Double jumps are when someone does two jumps without a break in between. They can be different jumps or two of the same jump. Tumbling, whether it be cartwheels, round-offs, or back handsprings, is always an impressive feature during tryouts. They are even better if they are finished with a toe-touch.
“I was kind of nervous since I have never had to try out for anything before. It was really cool to see what my friends had to do last year and know how they felt,” Charlie Evans, a tryout participant, said.
After the tryouts, everyone has to wait for the cheer coach to calculate scores to see who made the cut. The cheerleader prospects usually wait about an hour before they find out. After everyone is told who has made the team, the new cheerleaders go to the coach’s room and pick out cheer camp outfits and other things for the upcoming cheer season.
One of the first things the 2019 – 2020 cheerleaders are required to do is work the ice cream stand at the Walleye Rodeo. They are also required to help with bake sales, selling t-shirts, and other smaller fundraisers.
Once football season rolls around, the cheerleaders will attend team dinners, put out school flags around town, greet kids as they enter the school, and organize pep assemblies.

About the Contributors
Braxton Thompson, Reporter

Braxton Thompson is a freshman on the Canton 2018-2019 newspaper staff. Thompson’s main motive for joining newspaper was his interest in photography...

Alyssa Rutz, Reporter

Alyssa Rutz is a freshmen on the Canton 2018-2019 newspaper staff, Rutz’s motives to join newspaper are to get better at photography and writing articles....

Solomon Vargas, Reporter

Solomon Vargas is a freshman on the Canton 2018-2019 newspaper staff. Solomon’s motives for joining this year’s newspaper staff is that he has never...