Wood You Rather

Shania Wood is the Ag Secretary here at Canton High School. She helps out at stock shows, helps take care of paperwork, and her pride and joy is the school greenhouse.

Mrs.Wood has transformed the school greenhouse. Before she took charge, the greenhouse had no plants and was cluttered. Now it is full of several varieties of flowers, vegetables, and even hanging baskets. “I would eventually like to get where the chapter has an annual plant sale. I would also like for them to sell mums in the fall and poinsettias around Christmas time,” Mrs.Wood said.

Mrs.Wood was born on September 26, 1995. Her parents are Melinda and James Schoonmaker. She has two siblings, her older brother Justin, and younger sister Amanda. Mrs.Wood  has been involved in agriculture her whole life. “I grew up on a farm all my life. My grandpa and my dad raised cattle together, and my dad started raising goats. I helped out a lot with that. We kept my first show goat and grew from there,” Wood said. When she was a Junior in high school she won third overall at the State FFA Proficiency Convention with her goat production project.

Mrs.Wood  graduated high school from Canton. She got her degree from Northwestern Oklahoma State University with a major in agriculture, and a minor in animal science. Another major accomplishment for her is that she received her state FFA degree, and also her American degree.

Mrs.Wood now has two dogs with her husband Mack Wood. She would rather have dogs than cats. Her dogs are “Augie’s”, which is a corgi-mini Australian shepherd mix. One strange thing about her household is that one of her dogs has an obsession with succulents. Mrs.Wood has walked into her living room only to find a random plant laying in the middle of it.  

Mrs. Wood looks forward to the future at Canton High School.