Jeans at Prom: The Great Debate

Prom dress code calls into question handbook changes

When most students think prom they might think big fancy dresses and tuxedos, but now the talk of wearing jeans to prom is in. The talk about jeans was brought up shortly after the prom theme was picked.

“We have the rustic theme so it fits, but people are throwing a fit about that students might wear jeans with holes, but if you saw the boys last year, they aren’t about to do that,” Samantha McEachern, senior, said

This year’s theme for prom is Rustic Romance and some students believe wearing jeans would fit the theme just fine. Other students believe that, for Canton, prom is a formal dance and should be treated as such.

“I don’t think students should be allowed to wear jeans at prom because it should be a more formal dance,” Jared Cox, senior, said

For students to be able to wear jeans to prom, the teachers would have to meet and change the handbook in the middle of the year which is a problem. Every year the teachers meet in August to make necessary updates for the coming school year.

“I do believe there are certain cases where the handbook might need to be changed before the school year is up depending on the urgency of the situations,” Mrs. Keefer, science teacher, said.

The current handbook dress code for prom doesn’t allow jeans.

The teachers could change the prom dress code midyear, however, some teachers believe that if they change rules in the middle of the year, students might expect them to change other rules every time they want something different.

“The handbook rules are made or amended by a committee of faculty members every summer. The handbook is then approved by the board. I feel if we break that chain of command by randomly changing rules to fit certain situations, we will be doing our students a disservice by teaching them that if they complain loudly enough, those in charge will bend over backwards for them,” Meridith Barney, STUCO co-advisor, said.

Should students be allowed to wear jeans to prom?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...