The Twists and Turns of Mr. Barney’s Class

For the past week and this week in Mr. Barney’s class the sophomore class has been reading plot-twist stories, and this week the class will be writing their own plot-twist stories. 

I read about five stories with plot twists. My favorite one was Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge” where the main character is to be hanged. When he falls with the rope on his neck, he escapes and runs home only to find out he is dreaming and he actually dies and never gets to go home. 

There was another story that I got completely wrong ”A Lamb to the Slaughter”. I thought the main character hits her husband with a golf club, not a leg of lamb to kill her husband,  I was completely on the wrong track because she killed her husband with a frozen lamb leg and fed the weapon to the police. 

Since our class never had really written a plot-twist story we kind of shared our ideas with each other to try and find a good plot twist we could use. 

“My plot twist idea is there are these friends that know each other very well but they don’t. The plot twist is that the person they were hanging out with all day wasn’t really their friend,” Bree Simon, sophomore, says.

For my plot twist story in this class, I wrote about a kid who goes missing and comes back only to find out that it is not the same kid who went missing. I think it is a pretty good plot twist coming from someone who doesn’t understand a lot of plot twists.

“ Mine is about a dad who drinks a lot and he beats his wife and his son comes downstairs and beats him in the head with a bat. When they take him out on the stretcher because he’s dead, his throat was slit, and they found his neighbor’s knife in the bushes,” Nick Sullins, Sophomore, says. 

We all kind of were freaking out about writing these, but some of the students in my class had actually gotten really creative with their stories to write for their plot twists. 

“My story is about a boy who went missing, and his parents were like really worried about him and the plot twist was that the mom was the one that actually killed her son,” Andriana Trahan, sophomore, says.