Oklahoma Trash Poster Contest Underway

“Oklahoma Keep Our Land Grand” poster contest, started on December 1st, 2022, and the deadline is January 31st, 2023. All students in Oklahoma’s public, private, parochial, charter, tribal schools, known home schools, and correctional center facilities in grades K-12 can participate. The grade divisions are K-2nd, 3rd-5th, 6th-8th, 9th-12th.

“The trash poster contest is important for many reasons such as education of how important not littering is. From an artistic side its a great way for a student to plan an idea with small sketches then take the idea to a larger paper. The final piece is a good end product for commercial design. Students also get to win money if their piece is chosen for the calender,” Ms. Morgan, art teacher, said.

The cash prize awards are $300 for first place, $200 for second place, and $150 for third place. An additional poster will be chosen to win $300 as state “Promotional Poster of the Year,” and another one will be chosen to win $200 as the “Entry Form Poster.”

The classroom project or home school teacher of each of the 14 state winners will receive a voucher for a two-night stay at an Oklahoma State Park. They will also get a cash prize to be used for classroom art supplies. The amounts for each place is $150 for first place and promotional poster, $100 for second place and Entry Form Poster, and $75 for third place. 

“I think it’s a little dumb but I see where they are coming from. I just don’t think a poster will do much,” Nadia Luna, freshman, said.