Trip Through History

On Wednesday, April 4, Canton’s junior high and elementary went to SWOSU in Weatherford, Oklahoma for the Regional History Day competition. They left at 7:45 that morning and returned at 4:00 that evening. To be able to continue on to the State History Day competition participants have to get third place or higher. There are eighteen junior high students and nineteen elementary students from Canton who are competing in the junior high level of history day.

Alyssa Rutz, Hunter Hood, Erica Moldrup, and Ashlyn Ruiz are doing a group performance together. The topic they chose is the Uprising of 20,000.

Cadence Pugh, Hopelin Hood, and Hanna Sullins are doing a group exhibit together. They chose Sobibor for their topic.

Braxton Thompson, Kenzi Nix, and Kylie Nix are doing a group exhibit together. This is Braxton, Kylie, and Kenzi’s third year competing in history day together. Their topic is about Governor Raymond Gary and the Better Schools Amendment.

Madison Rauh and Kalli Lawrence are doing a group exhibit together.They decided on the murder of Emmett Till as their topic.

Johnie Burton and Nathan Janda are doing a group website together. The topic they settled on is George S. Patton.

Hailie Ibarra, Deuce Johnson, and Solomon Vargas are doing a group documentary together about the Cuban Missile Crisis.

Charlie Evans is doing an individual website and is the only student from Canton who is competing in a junior high division doing an individual website. Charlie decided on her topic to be about Claudette Colvin.

Emma Hoffman is doing an individual exhibit. She decided to make her exhibit about the Orphan Trains.

Marci Kopf is doing an individual exhibit. She picked The Trail of Tears as the topic for her exhibit.

Blair Dowell, competing in the junior high division, is the only student from Canton who is writing a paper. Blair chose to write her paper about the Rocket Girls.

Kasidee Pope is doing an individual exhibit. She chose for her exhibit to be about the Dirty Thirties dust bowl.

Zayda Sherwood is doing an individual exhibit. She chose for her exhibit to be about Auschwitz concentration camp.

Nicholas Tsatigh and Jarret Snow are doing a group exhibit. Their exhibit is about the Battle of Little Bighorn.

Sariah Vargas, Jadie Chervenka, and Alyse Whiteman are doing a group exhibit. The topic they chose is  Clara Luper and the Oklahoma City Sit-in.

Aubrey Cheney and Jacie Murray are doing a group exhibit. Their topic is The Salem Witch Trials.

Kamron Rogers, Cody Hooten, and Andrew Duran are doing a group exhibit. Their exhibit is about Doomsday.

Kyla Withers and Kylie Carrasco are doing a group website. They decided to make their website over the Little Rock Nine Conflict of Color.

Devon Reilly and McKayla Howerton are doing a group exhibit. Their exhibit is about Orphan Trains.