Ag Students Prepare For Third Year Crop Competition.

Mr.Mitchell, Jake Sinclair, and Weston Waldrep picking fox tail for contest.

On Monday, August, 13th the Canton FFA started working on grass bundles for competition and the Oklahoma State Fair and Tulsa State Fair. This will be the third year they have worked and competed with grass bundles.

Putting bundles together can take up to 3 to 6 hours for them to be worthy to win. Mr.Mitchell, ag teacher,  has been doing crops for 30 years. Canton had not done grass and seed competition until Mr. Mitchell became Canton’s Ag teacher.

“It is a chance for every kid to participate because it is not cost prohibitive, and the older students will teach the younger students the different varieties of grasses and seeds,”   

Mr. Mitchell, ag teacher, said.

Putting a grass bundle together or clean grain can take 1 hour for some, and 3 hours for others because of the precision required. The see heads on the grass bundles must line up perfectly, and the seed boxes in crop competition requires grain to be perfectly clean. Working on these requires patience, willingness, and dedication.   

The 8th graders are beginning to learn about all the varieties of grasses and seeds. The 8th graders are willing to work on the grass bundles and are energetic to put in time to win.  

“I like to learn the different varieties of  seeds and grasses, because one day I would like to judge the crops and grass competition.” Deuce Johnson, freshmen, said.