The Fourth Through Sixth Changes Things Up

Kids start reading books for book reports.

The elementary has always had to do AR points for a grade every 9 weeks. The students had to have a certain number of points every 9 weeks. The teachers for 4th through 6th have decided to change to doing book reports. The book reports have made a big difference for the students and teachers. Instead of reading multiple books to get their points, students can now just read one book each month to get their grades.  

“Oh I like the idea of book reports, because book reports allow the students to choose books they like verses how many points it is worth. I do think that AR encouraged reading due to the idea of being competitive,” Mrs.Smith, 4th grade teacher, said.

“I like doing book reports because the kids can gain all the materials and are able to read the books faster,” Preston Foster, 4th grade student, said.

“It isn’t harder to do book reports because you are able to make stuff. Although it is hard sometimes because you only get 3 weeks to finish it,” Camden Lee, 5th grade student, said.

“Kids do better with AR points because it makes them read more,” Mr. Haub, 5th grade teacher, said.

“I think AR was something good for a time but, I think that this is a new year and a new challenge. We are going to be doing a new principal challenge next month in which students may be able to watch the principal kiss a pig if they read. I think it is better for the students to find something they actually want to read instead of finding books to get their points. We are going to be doing some contests and some things like that to get them pumped up about reading,” Mrs.Fuqua, elementary principal, said.

“I don’t like book reports more than AR points because I used to be able to get a lot of them and I was very competitive about that,” Addisyn Smith, 6th grade student, said.