Canton Media Meets Thunder Media

On Wednesday, November 28, five of Canton High School’s media students went to meet members of the Oklahoma City Thunder media staff.

Matt Bishop was the first person who was introduced to the media students. Bishop is the Publication Coordinator. He gave information about different aspects of being involved with Thunder media.

“In photography, and writing there is no correct way to do it, you just practice until you get better,” Bishop

said. “If you are in any type of media you will have to step up, step out and take the shot,”

The second person that Tiger Media met was Nick Gallo. Gallo is a sports writer for the Thunder. He interviews the coaches and players. Gallo gave the students advice on the best ways to interview people.

“The questions you ask and how you phrase them is an important part of the job,” Gallo said. “Being as prepared as possible before an interview can help with nerves.”

The third person they met was Kaitlyn Lloyd, the Thunder’s advertising coordinator. Lloyd gave advice on different types of advertising, and how to reach people.

“Get engaged with the people you are trying to reach, and advertise constantly,” Lloyd said.

The last person Tiger Media was introduced to was Zach Beeker, the Thunder’s team photographer. He gave the students different tips on how to get the best photos at a game.

“Focus on the storyline and the people, then decide when to stick and when to move,” Zach Beeker, Thunder team photographer, said.

The Tiger Media staff learned about different careers in advertising and media.

“The most useful information I got (at the workshop) was to learn about our consumers and we need to learn to appeal to them when trying to sell our yearbooks and ads,” Alicia Luna, sophomore Claw feature writer and Tiger photographer/designer, said.

They also learned that team photographers have strobe lights in the Chesapeake Arena to help improve the color of their photos. These lights go off at a speed of 1/16,000 of a second and are synced to the photographer’s camera shutter.

“Once you see the strobe lights, you can’t unsee them. They go off the whole game” Caden Koehn, sophomore Claw sports reporter, said.

After the media workshop,  the Canton Media students went to eat, and then went to the Thunder game.