Students Accepted into New York Times Summer Academy

Two students from Canton High School have been honored by being accepted into the New York Times Summer Academy. This summer Ethan Foster and Kenidi Humbargar will travel to New York for a two week long journalism academy filled with hands-on courses.

“I’m excited because it will be my first time going to New York, and being accepted is an honor,” Ethan Foster, sophomore, said.

The New York Times was first published in 1851 as a penny paper. Since its first issue, the paper has grown to become the 17th ranked newspaper in the world. As of 2017, the paper was employing nearly 3,800 people. It is known for being one of the most prestigious papers in the world.

Foster and Humbarger will learn about several different skills required to make a good newspaper, such as photography, sports writing, writing for culture, and even writing for TV. Foster has become The Claw’s own (unofficial) sportswriter. Humbargar specializes in breaking news stories.

“I hope to learn how to become an overall better writer, and learn more writing techniques. My course is Writing for Television: Inside the Writers’ Room,” Humbargar, sophomore, said. Her course begins on June 23 and ends on July 5. In her course, Humbarger will be learning how to write scripts. She will visit the NBC Studio and watch how The Today Show is filmed.

Foster will be participating in a course that specializes in photography and sports writing. “I want to learn how to write better sports stories and how to take better pictures. I’m excited and nervous because this will be my first time going to New York. I will get to do things there I have never gotten to do before,” Foster, sophomore, said.  

“I can’t be happier or more proud. Ethan and Kenidi get to go learn from the best of the best. This just proves that our Canton kids can go anywhere and do anything they set their minds to,” Kyler Barney, advisor, said.