Parent-Teacher Conferences Face Mixed Reviews

Nearly every school across the United States participates in parent-teacher conferences.
Canton has parent-teacher conferences on Tuesday this week.

The idea of parent-teacher night is that parents can come and see how their children are doing beyond the grade.

“It is always good to have communication between the teacher and parent. I like that we have parent-teacher conferences early so that if something needs to be done we do not wait till it is too late to fix it,” Mrs. Dowell, Canton High School science teacher, said.

Many students are not scared because they do not act up in class.

At Canton High School bullying is not a huge problem and most students don’t act up very often.

Most parents can look at their kids’ grades and see how they are doing every day.

“My parents come to parent-teacher conferences, but I am not scared because I have good grades. At parent-teacher conferences, parents get to see if their kid is actually trying and turning their work in,” Ariel Green, eighth-grader, said.

Some parents trust their kids, and some just do not care. Other parents talk to the teachers throughout the year to check up on their kids.

Teachers do like parent-teacher conferences so that they can talk to the parents who they normally do not see.

“It gives the teachers a chance to converse with their parents that they may not otherwise. I think it can change the way someone acts,” Mr. Mesis, Canton High School social studies teacher, said.

“My parents do not come to parent-teacher conferences, I have no idea why, maybe they trust me,” Hunter Hood, freshman, said.