Canton Art Students’ Interests Peaked By Dr. Pepper Competition

Having all of his supplies displayed in front of him, Duce Johnson plans to make his design as colorful as possible He hoped to catch the the judges’ eyes with the bright colors and that it would have given him an edge to help him win the competition.

Mrs. Morgan, art teacher, was told about a competition that Dr. Pepper was holding for the Oklahoma City Zoo and decided to let her students participate. She explained the theme and qualifications, and let the students’ imaginations run wild.

The zoo is encouraging students around the stare to design a Dr. Pepper vending machine to spread the idea of saving wildlife and habitats of the needed pollinators. The populations of these pollinators are declining and many of the world’s crops and flowering plants rely on those little insects. This is the reason why the zoo is so adamant about sharing the importance of saving the pollinators.

The theme that the students need to include is “A Future for Pollinators.” It is meant to spread awareness for the declining population of pollinators in the United States. The zoo has been dedicated to preserving wildlife and wild places by joining global and local conservation partnerships, education, awareness, and research. With one of its partnerships with the Oklahoma Monarch and Pollinator Collaborative, the zoo is trying to educate people throughout the state about the statewide conservation plan.

The details to enter the competition are on a printable handout, which includes the specifications for the drawings and the different prizes that the contestants could win, depending on how they placed. The prize for the lower and upper divisions is a $300 gift card to one of the OKC Outlets stores, a certificate, and they will have their design as the cover of a Dr. Pepper vending machine at the zoo and the OKC Outlets for a year. The prize for the AZA choice and zoo directors top 10 is a certificate and the design will be on display at the zoo and OKC Outlets.