Goodbye Playground, Hello Classroom

At Canton High School grades seven through twelve are all in the same building. The sixth graders coming over to the high school building are not ready for it.

The teachers in the high school can be tougher, grumpier, and more stressful. Having to move from class to class in three minutes also scares some of the seventh graders, along with their new teachers.  

“I am scared of Mrs. Schiska,” Kaghan Baker, a seventh grader, said.

Some of the seventh graders are also afraid of the illegal stuff that happens in the high school. Knives have been brought to school, drugs are brought to school, and fights can break out.

“I was afraid of drugs and the knives that a former student brought to school,” Luke Foster, a seventh grader, said.

Having the huge seniors and juniors walking right beside the younger kids makes them feel uncomfortable. The thought of being shoved into the lockers terrifies these young students.

“I am scared of getting shoved in my locker,” Robert Stark, a seventh grader, said.

Random drug tests also scare some seventh graders. Some of the seventh graders are just afraid of peeing in a cup, and some think the drug test may accidentally test positive.

The elementary school should include kindergarten through eighth grade. Without the seventh and eighth grade in the high school,  the hallways would be less crowded.

The teachers would also be less stressed and busy, they could have more time to teach high school classes. If the teachers didn’t have junior high classes, they could focus more on the older students.

The seventh and eighth graders need a chance to become more mature before they come to the high school building.