Meeting New People

On November 1, the Freshman Leadership Council traveled to Edmond to spend the day at the University of Central Oklahoma. UCOLA is a leadership conference designed to help freshmen become better leaders. When they got to UCO, they all received name tags with their school, names, team names, and a lunch group on them. There were many groups, and none of the freshman students from Canton were in the same group, which gave them the experience to get out of their comfort zones and be social with students from other schools.

Until lunch, everyone who had the same team name was in a classroom getting to know each other in their groups. Shortly after everyone finished saying their names, they all made a banner for their team name and worked together to think of a chant to do in front of all the teams at the end of the day.

There were many activities done in each group. In one group, the students got so many sheets of toilet paper and everyone got in a circle. Each student would have to say an interesting fact about themselves for every sheet of toilet paper.  

After the time was up, they split up into different classes. The college had classrooms for two to three schools, and participants did service projects with their own school. Finally, after long hard thought about service projects that they could do around town, it was time for everyone to go back to the conference room and sit with their teams.

Nearing the end of the day, it was finally time for the team names to be called to do their chants. After all the teams did their chants, the administration that helped put the leadership conference together called out names, and each student who was called to the stage received scholarships to go to UCO.

“I learned how to be a leader and how to interact with other people. I liked interacting with kids from other schools, and it was nice meeting new people and not having anyone from my school in my group. I consider going to UCO, because it has nice facilities and the people were really nice.”

— Seth Bromlow