Traditions Shouldn’t Die

High school is all about tradition and making memories. Over the years the traditions at Canton High have not changed that much. There are some differences since our parents have gone to school here.

We should bring back some of those old traditions. Having band was one of the things I wish we had. Being able to hear the national anthem played by a real band always sounds better than a recording and getting to learn to play an instrument would be a cool thing to learn.

All the years I have been in Canton schools, we have only ever been able to sing and always had recorded music.

Never learning to play an instrument is kind of a disappointment because I have always wanted to learn to play and I can not.

“I really wanted to play an instrument, but sadly we do not have band,” Erica Moldrup, freshman, said.

Another tradition was having bonfires at Sandy Cove. For homecoming the students would go to the lake and hang out with friends and have lots of fun.

Sadly this type of thing would be illegal now and students would be fined. There are many other traditions that used to be around and they will be missed.

Dragging Main, even though this is not really associated with the school, it is something most high school students used to take part in. Students now would probably be confused if they heard the phrase “draggin Main”, most of us would lift an eyebrow.

Back in the day students would meet up at the One Stop to get together with their friends and hang out. All of them would get into their cars and just drive around picking up people along the way and just driving back and forth from the convenience store to circle drive.

One of the main reasons this tradition has died is because of the new age of technology. Now, not very many people need to meet up to hang out if we have our phones to communicate. There are however other factors that play into why high school students do not do this anymore, like the price of gas. It has been about a good 15 to 20 years since this tradition has stopped and gas prices have gone up by at least a dollar or maybe more.

A more of a recent tradition that is no longer here is the homecoming parade. This stopped happening about 7 years ago and it is something that is missed. This parade was floats the high school classes had made throughout the week of homecoming.

The bonding experience between the students was an awesome thing for everyone and the younger students especially loved to get out of class and go outside.

These traditions will be missed in ways, and I wish some of them could come back. Though they seem cool, there are a lot of the newer things we take part in now that are super fun and we all create some pretty awesome memories. Overall I am very happy to be a Canton Tiger.